One of the most common questions regarding dog food is about what liquid content in dog food really means.
You can find a lot of information on food labels. But understanding what all the information means is not always easy. It is therefore good to have basic knowledge to be able to interpret the labels.
The rules differ from country to country, but in general most leading dog food manufacturers choose to include information about the proportion of liquid that the food contains.
It is important to know what to look for on the labels and to choose the right type of dog food for your dog. Of course, you want to make sure that your dog gets everything he needs in his diet.
What does the liquid content of dog food really mean?
The liquid percentage of food is a contributing factor to your pet’s health. Just because a feed has a higher or lower liquid content does not necessarily mean that it is worse or better.
Rather, it means that certain types of dog food will benefit different types of dogs depending on their health condition, age or calorie intake.
Here is a general guide to the different categories of dog food on the market and its liquid content. You should look for the amount of liquid that should be present as well as the benefits of each type of feed.
- Dry feed : this type of feed has less than 14% moisture. An advantage of dry food is that it is very easy to store and store for long periods. It also helps keep the dog’s teeth clean. If your dog’s diet is mainly based on this type of dog food, he will not have a very large accumulation of plaque and tartar.
- Semi-moist feed : should contain between 14% and 34% liquid. This is the rarest dog food, but it really provides the best of both worlds as it guarantees a balanced diet for your dog. Compared to wet food, it is less likely that semi-moist food will contribute to tartar problems for your dog. This type of dog food is also very popular with dogs. It is unlikely that your dog will turn his nose in the air to semi-moist food.
- Wet dog food : contains more than 34% liquid in its composition and you will find it canned in the store. When opening the jar, use the contents within three days. The advantage of this type of dog food is that most dogs love it. It is also easy to swallow because the dog hardly even has to chew.
What type of dog food should you choose?
In general, dry food normally contains about 10% liquid while wet dog food can contain about 80%. However, these percentages may vary depending on the manufacturer.
In any case, when choosing dry food for your dog, you should invest in high quality. Dry food must undergo thorough tests and inspections. It is also the most beneficial for the health of the dogs.
Things to be aware of when choosing dog food
The three categories of dog food mentioned above are designed by specialists. This means that they have all the nutrients that your dog needs to have a balanced diet and stay healthy and strong.
However, there are some precautions you should take when deciding what type of food to give your dog. Here are some of them:
- Dry food will not help your dog stay hydrated. You must therefore make sure that your dog drinks a lot of water.
- Although there is generally a specific type of dry food for almost all dog breeds, some dogs will simply not like the dry food that is best for their needs. If this happens, your dog may just eat so that he does not starve. He can then suffer from malnutrition.
- Another factor you should consider is the dog’s teeth. Most dogs have a tendency to suffer from tartar. Dogs that mainly eat a diet based on wet food may be more likely to suffer from tartar, and also the associated problems.
What You Can Do For Your Pet’s Dental Health
The use of chewing gum can be a good idea no matter what type of food you give the dog. However, you have even more reason to use them if your dog mostly consumes wet food.
By giving your dog special chewing bones for dental health to nibble on between meals, you also help to avoid bad breath.
If you have some doubts or questions about the liquid content of the dog food you give your pet, then an appointment with the vet can be a good idea.
Your veterinarian can help you choose the best type of food for your dog as it can vary depending on the dog’s unique characteristics.