There are two important requirements that a legal pet store must meet: you must have the right education and you must have a permit to sell animals.
In these shops you can buy animals, accessories and and food, but these movements must meet certain criteria that guarantee that the animals do not get hurt.
Hygiene measures at a legal pet store
There are many cases of overcrowded animals that are in places with poor hygiene.
It is mainly the Swedish Board of Agriculture that handles issues concerning pet shops, but it is the County Administrative Board that issues the permit.
Protecting animals and public health is one of the main goals. You do not want the pet shops to become places where there are a lot of diseases.
They also want to ensure that the animals have a proper diet, are treated well, etc.
Documentation for a legal pet store
The County Administrative Board has the task of issuing licenses for veterinary practices and pet shops. They will verify that the activities meet the necessary requirements.
The legislation states that the movement must maintain an appropriate level of hygiene in order to be able to take care of the animals. There must also be a separate area for sick dogs that must be quarantined.
Hygiene measures should be optimal and the spaces must be large enough so that it does not become too crowded.
Customers who go to this type of store and places for breeding have the right to see the documentation required.
This will ensure that the center complies with all rules before the customer chooses to adopt or buy an animal, which is the best way to avoid problems.
Some tips to avoid problems in a pet store
- As we mentioned above, it is first and foremost important that you ask to look at the centre’s documentation. If the owner cannot do so, you should contact the County Administrative Board.
- Special protection bodies should also be asked for recommendations. They usually have a list of legal and appropriate establishments that have been approved for animal handling.
- Once you have gone to the pet store and found your pet, you should ask to see documentation regarding the animal’s health, including vaccination certificates.
- The documentation should have a stamp from a veterinary clinic and a corresponding registration number.
- It is also important to ask for a sales document certifying that the animal is in good health.
- Once you have received your pet, you should take him to the vet for a check that confirms the dog’s health condition. If the dog then needs some form of treatment, the pet store may have to bear the costs.
Reporting of illegal activities
If you know of a kennel or animal clinic where the animals are too crowded or treated badly, you should report it to the police or the County Administrative Board.