Cats use their scary claws for a variety of things, such as hunting or defending themselves. They also help the cat keep its balance and release stress. They also use them to mark their territory when they are young, which can damage your home.
If there is ever a problem with having a cat at home, it usually has to do with its claws. It is necessary for the cat to have sharp claws, and they sharpen them by tearing on the furniture. However, instead of spending a lot of money on repairing the furniture, cat owners can offer their pets more attractive options.
Cats use their claws a lot, especially for clawing and climbing. They can be used in self-defense against external threats. In addition, cats stretch even when scratching a surface.
When it comes to your cat’s claws , it is ideal to provide a place where they can use their claws without doing any harm. This could be, for example, a climbing toy, an old piece of furniture or a bed that you no longer use.
Although cats generally use their claws to hunt and defend themselves, they also used them for other things. They help the cat maintain balance and are part of their mobility. They can also use them to mark their territory during their first months of life.
Cats also use their claws as a way to release stress. An anxious cat may be constantly scratching at a piece of furniture or a toy. This can be a way to communicate stress to its owner, which is one of the reasons why you should pay attention to why it behaves this way.
In some countries, it is a common practice to remove the claws. Most people, however, oppose this because they see it as a mutilation of the animal. It can also lead to problems later in life, such as with its gait, muscle atrophy and depression.
How to avoid damage caused by your cat’s scary claws
- Keep their claws trimmed. This simple habit is very practical and easy to implement. It is not only good for their hygiene, but will also help you avoid damage to your furniture.
- Teach them to claw at the same places and toys. Claw boards and climbing toys are perfect for cats to use their claws on. There are many different types of toys for climbing, catching and scratching.
- Cover your furniture with protective covers. While it may not be the most visually appealing option, it can be helpful when it comes to protecting your furniture. It is important that you buy durable covers: plastic is better than fabric.
- Use repellent or water. Some owners choose to use spray bottles of water to scare the cats; there are also repellents with an unpleasant odor or ones that neutralize their odor. However, this must be done constantly to get the desired effect.
- Prevent them from marking their territory. Cats mark their territory by rubbing their neck or face against specific areas. Cats secrete oil from these parts of their body to leave their odor on territories and belongings. A good trick to prevent them from marking parts of your home is to rub your furniture with a product that is unpleasant for cats.
Taking care of your cat’s claws
- Cut their claws. Some owners have the courage to cut their cat’s claws. If you decide to do this, it is important to remember that you need the right claw mower. You should not cut further than the vein as it is very painful for the cat.
- Keep their paws moisturized. There are several creams in the pet store that are there to moisturize your cat’s or dog’s paws. It is important to ensure that they do not become dehydrated and to avoid damage caused by dryness. This is especially important for cats because they have a tendency to climb on things.
- Review their nutritional intake. Just like with humans, you can adjust their nutritional intake to strengthen the growth and strength of their claws.
- Special cat food contains the nutrients they need to keep their fur and claws in good condition. It is always best to give them this type of food if you do not possess knowledge of additional food.
As you can see, there are many great ways to deal with a cat’s scary claws.